The Delaware Historical Society continues to make history all year long - click here for current news!


New Research Library Hours


Educational Programs


Sign up for the Delaware Historical Society's E-Bulletin!

 

 


This Month in Delaware History

Click here for past listings -

Dover Air Force Base, 1960.  DHS Postcard Collection

In early August, 1944, The Dover Army Airfield, first known as the Dover Airdrome and now known as the Dover Air Force Base, officially opened to the public. At the conclusion of WWII, the base became temporarily inactive. It reopened in 1950, again in early August, in response to the outbreak of the Korean War.


Dover AFB is home to the “Eagle Wing” of the Air Mobility Command and the “Liberty Wing” of the Air Force Reserve Command. It was the only base to solely operate two active flying squadrons (the 3rd & 9th Airlift Squadrons) and two Air Force Reserve flying squadrons (the 326th & 709th Airlift Squadrons).


Traditionally, the Dover AFB has been used for the reception of military personnel killed in both war and peacetime. The remains of those killed overseas are brought to Dover before being transferred to family. It was also a major site for identifying the remains of military personnel killed in the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks. During the night of October 28, 2009, President Barack Obama visited Dover AFB to receive the bodies of several American soldiers killed in Afghanistan, before making a decision to commit additional troops to Afghanistan.


The Dover AFB is also the home of the Air Mobility Command Museum.
 


 

 


Object of the Month

Click here for past listings -

Framed advertising thermometer for the Lewes Trust Company. 2010.020

Our Object of the Month is from one of Delaware’s iconic beach towns, Lewes, Delaware in 1950. Pictured here is a framed advertising thermometer for the Lewes Trust Company. The mercury thermometer is set under glass in the right side of a rectangular brass frame and is surrounded by a color scene of two hunting dogs in a marshland setting. There is a panel of text underneath the image: " Lewes Trust Company / Member F.D.I.C. / Phones 4411 & 2261 / Lewes Delaware." On the reverse of the frame is a small calendar with tear-off leaves for 1950 that starts at July. This brass and glass item measures W-4.125 x L-5.125 x D-0.25 inches
 

 

 
 

Delaware History Museum   |  Center for African American Heritage   |   Old Town Hall   |   Research Library   |   Willingtown Square    |   Read House & Gardens  

(302) 655-7161  deinfo@dehistory.org
505 N. Market Street, Wilmington, DE 19801
copyright 2016
 
The Delaware Historical Society is the statewide, non-profit organization that explores, preserves, shares, and promotes Delaware history, heritage, and culture to strengthen our community.