Welcome to dehistory.org (referred to as “DHS site” or “site”), the website of the Delaware Historical Society (referred to as “DHS,” “we,” or “us”). We are committed to ensuring the privacy and security of your personal information.
This notice applies to all Delaware Historical Society websites and all information submitted to the website and through third parties with your consent.
Information You Provide Us
We collect both PII (Personally Identifiable Information), or Personal Data, and non-PII (data that is anonymous), or Usage Data. Personal data is used only for its intended purpose and when you voluntarily provide it directly to us.
DHS may process and use Personal and Usage data for various reasons:
- To refine our site to better tailor them to your needs
- To notify you of any policy changes
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our site
- To process your membership or donations
- To register you for events
- To provide customer care and support or otherwise communicate with you
- To provide analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our site
- To monitor the usage of our site
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues
We have a legitimate interest in processing your Personal Data or Usage Data to understand the needs, concerns, and interest of our website users. We may rely upon your consent to process your Personal Data or Usage Data, in which case we will keep a record of consent and agree to honor your choices.
We will never share, sell, or rent your personal information with anyone in ways different from what is disclosed in this statement, except:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of Delaware Historical Society
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with our website
- To protect the personal safety of web users or the public
- To protect against legal liability
- To comply with your request to authorize such disclosure or a person demonstrating legal authority to act on your behalf requests or authorizes such disclosure
- To provide the information to our agents, vendors, or service providers who perform functions on our behalf, which allow us to provide features and maintain our site
Information We Collect
You will be asked for information to receive email communications, register for events or tours, complete contact forms and applications, submit feedback reports, or participate in surveys and evaluations. Types of personal information collected varies but can include:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Name of recipient/s of gift memberships (if applicable)
- Spouse or family relationships (for membership)
- Address, City, State, Province, ZIP/Postal code
- Phone number
- School or organization name (for affiliation information)
- Usage Data (defined below)
- Credit Card Information (this data is not stored)
Online Payments and Transactions
When you perform any of the following transactions online through the website, you will be asked for personal information:
- Purchase a Delaware Historical Society Membership
- Make a donation
- Register for an event (Free and Paid events) *
- Submit payment for a service
We do not process payments through our own e-commerce platform. When you perform any of the above-mentioned transactions online, you exit the Delaware Historical Society website and enter the website of one of our third-party affiliates.
Surveys & User Reports
We use various types of online forms to collect opinions and feedback. Submitting information is voluntary. If you choose to participate, we or our third-party affiliate(s) will request information, including personal data, as is necessary to process your survey results. In each instance, we will specify the purpose of collecting and intended use of personal data.
We appreciate all comments and feedback from our visitors. If you wish to submit a user feedback report using our contact form, you will be asked for your name and email address followed by questions regarding your feedback. That information will be used to communicate with you on the matter reported.
We collect and analyze web traffic data using Google Analytics. This information is non-personal data that we use to improve our online strategies. We may compile and provide aggregate statistics about website visitors, traffic patterns, and related information to third parties, but such information will not specify Personal Data.
Types of Usage data collected varies but can include:
- Internet Protocol Address (IP address)
- The name of the domain from which you accessed the internet.
- Browser type and version
- URLS of external sites that directed user to our site
- URL of pages visited by user
- Files downloaded from website
- Time and date of a user’s visit
- Time spent on a page
- Unique device identifiers
- Other diagnostic data
- The date and time users accessed our website
- Search terms used to come to the websites and while on the website (in aggregate only)
For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en.
Automatically Collected Information: Cookies & Web Tracking
In order to provide a quality experience for users, we automatically collect and store Usage data to improve our web design, presentation, and performance. We collect this information from anyone who clicks into, reads, browses, searches, or downloads information from our websites.
Our third-party service providers automatically collect information from and about our website users and we may use “cookies” and other technologies to enhance user experience. You can adjust settings in your browser to decide what to do when a cookie is sent to your browser.
Our servers may also automatically record Usage data.
Links to other Web sites
Our website may contain links to external websites for information purposes or additional services. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites. We may provide links to other third-party websites and other websites may provide links to our website, but third-party websites operate according to their privacy policies.
As information is collected and transferred over the Internet to our secure server, it is encrypted using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology, the industry standard security technology that is designed to protect sensitive information. We have security measures in place to protect any personal information we collect in accordance with applicable law against the loss, misuse, or alteration of the personal information we’ve stored. Notwithstanding those measures, we cannot 100% guarantee data is safe from being illegally accessed, and personal information being stolen or altered. Any submission of Personal and Usage data is at your own risk.
You always have the right to access and correct the personal information you have provided, and you can withdraw your consent to provide personal information at any time. You may also request to be removed from our contact list. If you want us to erase your personal information, if you would like to withdraw consent to share personal information, or if you do not want to be contacted by us, please let us know by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DHS reserves the right amend this policy at any time and to make changes anywhere on the website. If we make any substantial changes in the way we use personal information or to our methods of collecting, we will make a prominent announcement on dehistory.org/privacy-policy and anyone will have the opportunity to opt out before changes go into effect.
All concerns about how your information is used, questions regarding this policy statement, comments, feedback, requests for technical support, and other communications (if you feel that this site is not following its stated information policy, or to review or request changes to your information) should be directed to:
Delaware Historical Society
505 North Market Street,
Wilmington, Delaware 19801
Submit Web Feedback