Old Town Hall
Old Town Hall’s original bronze bell, which hung in the cupola from 1800 until 1875, is now located across the street between the Simms House and the Library. The bell, cast in England, was purchased by Joseph Tatnall (1740-1813), a prosperous local miller and merchant who also purchased the clock for the building. The bell worked with the clock to strike on the hour and could also be rung manually to sound a fire alarm, summon citizens to meetings, or to mark a period of public celebration or mourning.
The bell was removed when the original cupola was replaced by a larger one in 1875. The bell then passed to the Phoenix Fire Company before being donated to the Delaware Historical Society by the heirs of Joseph Tatnall in 1933.