The Cook-Simms House, 1778
William Cook built this house at 101 East Fourth Street in what was then the heart of downtown Wilmington. Dr. John Simms, who made and sold herbal medicines, bought the house in 1840 to serve as his shop and residence. He updated the building with large windows and an awning. The building displays Flemish-bond brick with a belt course between the first and second floors.
Jacobs House, 1748
The Jacobs House is a two story brick structure with pent eaves. Featuring Flemish bond brickwork with glazed headers and a molded water table, this house was built for Job and Mary Jacobs in 1748 by Griffith Minshall. Mr. Minshall included the Jacobs initials and the date of construction in the front wall of the house. The letters and dates are arranged in the form of a puzzle.
Jacob and Obidiah Dingee Houses, 1771 and 1773
The Dingee brothers built their houses side by side. Jacob's, 1771, uses old-fashioned glazed headers on its Flemish bond bricks. The brothers were cabinet makers and likely used the first floor as a work shop, living upstairs.