Sussex County

St. George's A.M.E. Church, Lewes
__________________________________________

St. George’s A.M.E. built a church and established a cemetery in 1861.  In 1882, the church was destroyed by arson.  Services had been held that evening, “but no fire had been left in the church.  A bottle that had contained coal oil and a lot of kindling wood was found near where the fire was started” (Christian Recorder, April 6, 1882). Despite the fire, the church continued the revival meetings that were in progress.  The new church was completed in 1884, and rebuilt in 1891 and 1930.  The church is still active

.

:
St. George's A.M.E. Church, Lewes
Ca. late 1930s-early 1940s
Zebley Collection, Delaware Historical Society

 

St. George's A.M.E. Church, Lewes

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

First Congregational Church, Milton
__________________________________________

A group that left Bethel A.M.E. Church in Milton started this church in 1927.  Little more is known of its history, and it is no longer active.

.

 

:
First Congregational Church, Milton
Ca. late 1930s-early 1940s
Zebley Collection, Delaware Historical Society

 

First Congregational Church, Milton

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Clarence Street Church of God, Seaford
__________________________________________

In 1933, Rev. Allan Stanley started the Church of God in Seaford so that worshipers would not have to travel to his New Market Church of God in Maryland.  The original sanctuary, shown here, burned down in 1938 and was rebuilt in 1940.  Women of the church held chicken and dumpling dinners to raise money for the new building.  Since then, the church has been expanded.  About 30 churches and over 50 ministers have come forth from Clarence Street Church of God, which continues to serve Seaford.

:
Clarence Street Church of God, Seaford
Ca. late 1930s-early 1940s
Zebley Collection, Delaware Historical Society

 

Clarence Street Church of God, Seaford_1

Clarence Street Church of God,Seaford_2

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church, Ellendale
__________________________________________

Mt. Zion A.M.E. built its frame church in 1906.  A new brick building was dedicated in 1970.  According to a newspaper story, funds for the new church came from members and “a challenge gift from an interested Pennsylvania family.”  As is so often the case in Delaware, personal connections led to the “interested Pennsylvania family” getting involved.  When church members George and Annie Whaley retired from working for the McNeil family, inventors of Tylenol, they were asked what they would like as a retirement gift.  George Whaley’s response was “a new church.” The McNeils honored his request.  In gratitude for the help it received, Mt. Zion donated its frame building to St. John’s Pentecostal Church.

:
Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church, Ellendale
Ca. late 1930s-early 1940s
Zebley Collection, Delaware Historical Society

 

Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church, Ellendale_Ca. late 1930s_early 1940s

 

 

 

 

Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church, Ellendale
2013
Courtesy of Dena Chasten-Ellis

 

Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church, Ellendate_2013

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Mt. Calvary A.M.E. Church, Concord
__________________________________________

Beginning in early 1800s, blacks and whites both worshipped in the Methodist church at Concord, although the blacks had to sit in the gallery or hold their service at a different time. In 1866, however, the whites expelled the African Americans from the church.  The black congregation first worshipped in an old log cabin, then in a building called the Granary.  A new church was built in 1872 and called Mt. Calvary.  That church burned in 1921 and was replaced by a new building.  Mt. Calvary currently worships in a modern building.

:
Mt. Calvary A.M.E. Church, Concord
Ca. late 1930s - early 1940s
Zebley Collection, Delaware Historical Socie
ty

 

Mt. Calvary A.M.E. Church, Concord

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mt. Calvary A.M.E. Church, Concord
2013
Courtesy of Tikiah D. Brown

 

Mt. Calvary A.M.E. Church, Concord, 2013

 

 

Delaware History Museum   |  Mitchell Center for African American Heritage   |   Old Town Hall   |   Research Library   |   Willingtown Square    |   Read House & Gardens  

(302) 655-7161  deinfo@dehistory.org
505 N. Market Street, Wilmington, DE 19801
copyright 2019

 
 
The Delaware Historical Society is the statewide, non-profit organization that explores, preserves, shares, and promotes Delaware history, heritage, and culture to strengthen our community.