New Castle County

Chippey African Union Methodist Church, Hockessin
__________________________________________

Founded in rural Hockessin in 1886, the church built a frame building that was used for ten years until the church shown here was built. The church was named for Edward Chippey, a leading A.U.M.P. clergyman, in 1897. Chippey erected a new building in the early 1970s.  Although the church belonged to the A.U.M.P. denomination for many years, it is now independent.   Chippey Chapel remains a vital part of a community that has transitioned from rural to suburban in recent years.


Chippey African Union Methodist Church, Hockessin
Ca. Late 1930s-early 1940s
Zebley Collection,Delaware Historical Society

 

Chippey African Union Methodist Church, Hockessin

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Pilgrim Baptist Church, Newark
__________________________________________

Organized in 1913 as an outgrowth of Shiloh Baptist in Wilmington, Pilgrim held its first services in a tent on Church Street in Newark, followed by a rented room.  In 1919, the church purchased a building that had been used as a movie theater for blacks on New London Avenue in the heart of Newark’s black community.  In 1994, Pilgrim moved to a new church on Barksdale Road.


Pilgrim Baptist Church, Newark
Ca. late 1930s-early 1940s
Zebley Collection, Delaware Historical Society

 

Pilgrim Baptist Church, Newark

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Mt. Pisgah U.A.M.E. Church, Middletown
__________________________________________

This church organized in 1813 as the Union African Church of Welsh Tract.  Members of the church helped to dig the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal.  In 1868, the church joined the U.A.M.E. denomination.  It built a new church in 1870 that was remodeled in 1914.  In 1933 the church took the name Mt. Pisgah.  Widening of the C&D Canal in the 1930s claimed the church and a new building, shown here, was erected on a new site.  The church’s cemetery was moved to the new location.


Mt. Pisgah U.A.M.E. Church, Middletown
Ca. late 1930s-early 1940s
Zebley Collection, Delaware Historical Society

 

Mt. Pisgah U.A.M.E. Church, Middletown

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 

Simpson United Methodist Church, Newport
__________________________________________

In 1842, black Methodists in Newport founded the First United Wesleyan Methodist Episcopal Church of America as an independent church.  In 1877, the church joined the Delaware Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was named for Bishop Matthew Simpson, a friend of Abraham Lincoln.  The church’s first building burned in 1931 and was replaced by a new structure.  The church’s current building was completed in 1975 and expanded in 2007.


Simpson United Methodist Church, prior to 1931
Courtesy of Simpson United Methodist Church

 

Simpson United Methodist Church, prior to 1931


Simpson United Methodist Church, Ca. 1936
Courtesy of Simpson United Methodist Church

 

 

Simpson United Methodist Church, after 1936
 

 

 


Simpson United Methodist Church, Ca. 1975
Courtesy of Simpson United Methodist Church
 

 

Simpson United Methodist Church, 1975


Simpson United Methodist Church, after renovations, 2007
Courtesy of Simpson United Methodist Church
 

 

Simpson United Methodist Church, 2007

 

 

Delaware History Museum   |  Mitchell Center for African American Heritage   |   Old Town Hall   |   Research Library   |   Willingtown Square    |   Read House & Gardens  

(302) 655-7161  deinfo@dehistory.org
505 N. Market Street, Wilmington, DE 19801
copyright 2019

 
 
The Delaware Historical Society is the statewide, non-profit organization that explores, preserves, shares, and promotes Delaware history, heritage, and culture to strengthen our community.