Kent County

Byrd's A.M.E. Church, Clayton
__________________________________________

Founded in 1894, Byrd’s A.M.E. Church built a frame building 28 x 40 feet with a belfry 40 feet high.  All of the construction was done by African Americans.  In 1901, Byrd’s joined with Mt. Friendship to purchase a camp meeting site.  A kitchen wing was added to the church in 1958.  The church is still active.


Byrd's A.M.E. Church, Clayton
Ca. late 1930s-1940s
Zebley Collection, Delaware Historical Society

 

Byrd's A.M.E. Church, Clayton

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Bethel A.M.E. Church, Smyrna
__________________________________________

In 1845, black Methodists in Smyrna who belonged to Asbury Methodist Church began holding their own meetings but remained under the control of the white church.  In 1849, they organized an A.M.E. congregation, worshipping first in the outlying areas of Wapping and Smyrna Landing before building a church in Smyrna in 1851.  In 1867 they built a new church that was 33 x 48 feet and seated 400.  Major remodeling in 1886 transformed the sanctuary from a very plain space into a colorful array of shades of blue, salmon and terra cotta.  A new pulpit, pews, and organ were installed.  Beneath it was a room for meetings and Sunday school, as well as a library.  The church is still active.

 


Bethel A.M.E. Church, Smyrna
Ca. late 1930s-early 1940s
Zebley Collection, Delaware Historical Society

 

Bethel A.M.E. Church, Smyrna

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Whatcoat Methodist Church, Dover
__________________________________________

Whatcoat, the oldest African American church in Dover, dedicated its first church in 1854.  A new building was erected in 1870 and remodeled in 1935.  The church currently worships in a modern building.


Whatcoat Methodist Church, Dover
Ca. late 1930s-early 1940s
Zebley Collection, Delaware Historical Society

 

St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, Ca. late 1930s-early 1940s

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Forest Grove Seventh Day Adventist Church,
Dinah's Corner

__________________________________________

Members of the group of Delawareans known as Moors started the church in 1896.  Because Seventh Day Adventists observe Saturday as their sabbath and work on Sunday, two members were arrested for desecration of the sabbath in 1897.  Their first building was destroyed by fire in 1906 and replaced by a new structure.  The church opened a school in 1941 and built a new church in 1943.  The church is still active.

.

:
Forest Grove Seventh Day Adventist Church,
Dinah's Corner
Ca. late 1930s-early 1940s
Zebley Collection, Delaware Historical Society

 

Forest Grove Seventh Day Adventist Church

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Bethel A.M.E. Church, Milford
__________________________________________

Bethel A.M.E., founded in 1870, built its church on Church Street.  In 1892 the building was moved to Fourth Street, where it was remodeled and expanded by 12 feet.  In the 1930s, the congregation built a new church, shown here.  The church is still active.


Bethel A.M.E. Church, Milford
Ca. late 1930s-early 1940s
Zebley Collection, Delaware Historical Society

 

Byrd's A.M.E. Church, Clayton

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Mt. Enon Baptist Church, Milford
__________________________________________

Mt. Enon was founded in 1918 when Emma Deputy of Union Baptist Church in Dover began holding services in her home.  The congregation purchased the former St. Paul’s Methodist Episcopal Church (African American) in 1922.  The congregation now worships in a modern building.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:
Mt. Enon Baptist Church, Milford
Ca. late 1930s - early 1940s
Zebley Collection, Delaware Historical Socie
ty

 

Mt. Enon_late 130s_early 1940s

 

 

 

 

:
Mt. Enon Baptist Church, Milford
2012
Courtesy of Mt. Enon Baptist Church
 

Mt. Enon_2012

 

 

Delaware History Museum   |  Mitchell Center for African American Heritage   |   Old Town Hall   |   Research Library   |   Willingtown Square    |   Read House & Gardens  

(302) 655-7161  deinfo@dehistory.org
505 N. Market Street, Wilmington, DE 19801
copyright 2019

 
 
The Delaware Historical Society is the statewide, non-profit organization that explores, preserves, shares, and promotes Delaware history, heritage, and culture to strengthen our community.